Cryptic

Moderator: Sonja

WhizBang

Cryptic

Post by WhizBang »

I never got the idea of a cryptic, can someone explain?
Groucho

Re: Cryptic

Post by Groucho »

Hi Whizzbang.I recommend that you visit some of the crossword sites that will explain in detail what is involved in solving a cryptic crossword.In a typical cryptic crossword you will find that the definition is either at the beginning or the end of the clue.I have posted another cryptic earlier,which I am sure you will solve.
Staley

Post by Staley »

Cryptic clues generally have definitions or hints (often synonyms) for parts of the answer word mashed up with a definition or hint for the whole word. One way to see a bunch at once (with the answers) is to do a search here on TI on the word "cryptic." You'll see some are incredibly easy but others remain opaque even when you know the answer.
Phil F

Post by Phil F »

HOW TO SOLVE CRYPTICS

Cryptics are puzzles specially designed for lovers of wordplay. Each is a miniature game of wits. To play you need to know what is in the puzzlemaker’s box of tricks. The keys to that box are given below.

The master key is knowing that each cryptic is like an equation with two parts: a normal definition of the answer, plus a second hint using wordplay. These two parts are strung together; figuring out where one part ends and the other begins is the challenge. Seasoned solvers learn to look for the following types of wordplay:

ANAGRAMS The letters of the answer may be given in scrambled form may be given in the clue, along with a figurative word or phrase to warn you. In the clue Analyze San Diego wrongly (8) that is an anagrammed version of “San Diego”. The answer? DIAGNOSE.

CHARADES As in the parlor game of Charades, answers are broken into parts and clued piece by piece. For example, A combo performing “Desert” (7) has for it answer the word ABANDON, defined as “desert” (as a verb) and clued as A + BAND + ON (“performing).

CONTAINERS Instead of appearing side by side, the answer’s pieces may appear one within the other. The clue Unconscious general swallowed by snake (6) gives you LEE (“general”) inside of (figuratively “swallowed by”) ASP (“snake”) for the answer ASLEEP (“unconscious”).

DOUBLE DEFINITIONS A clue may simply string together two different meanings of the answer. For example, Apartment lacking air (4) gives two definitions for the answer FLAT. In the clue Disappear like a truck (6) the answer VANISH is clued once normally (“disappear’) and once punnily (“like a truck”, i.e. VAN-ISH).

DELETIONS Sometimes an answer is derived by deleting the “head” (first letter), “tail” (last letter), “heart” (central letter) or other piece of a longer word. In the clue Bird dog loses its head (5), the answer EAGLE is derived when BEAGLE sheds its front letter.

HIDDEN WORDS On occasion, the answer may actually appear within the clue, camouflaged. In the clue Santa’s teddy bears sampled (6), the phrase “Santa’s teddy” carries (i.e. “bears) the answer TASTED (“sampled”). Easy when you know what to look for!

REVERSALS A clue may playfully hint that the answer spelled backward would create a new word. In the clue Lucifer was returning (5) the answer DEVIL results when the word LIVED (“was”) turns backward.

HOMOPHONES A clue may tell you that the answer has the same sound as another word. For example, Gossip lodger overheard (5) gives you RUMOR (defined as “gossip”), which when listened to (“overheard”) sounds like ROOMER (“lodger”).

& LITS. An exclamation point will tip you off that the literal definition and the wordplay are one and the same. The entire clue can be read twice: once as a definition and once as wordplay. For example, in the clue A grim era, perhaps! (8), the letters in AGRIMERA “perhaps” will spell MARRIAGE, which is “a grim era, perhaps!”

These are the keys that unlock the puzzlemaker’s mysterious box. Be aware however, that combinations of two or more wordplay types may occur in a single clue. For example, Writer put $100 in battered portmanteau (6,6) combines a container and an anagram, instructing you to put C (short for $100 bill) inside an anagrammed version of “portmanteau” for the answer TRUMAN CAPOTE (“writer”). Remember no matter how weird or twisty a clue may appear, fair hints for its solution will always be present. You may get temporarily sick of Dole- that is FOOLED (anagram) but you should never feel Centigrade-hot – that is CHEATED (C + HEATED). Happy solving.

Reprinted from Dell Champion Crossword Magazine
Phil