1-letter Forsake going out to dine

Moderator: Sonja

Justme

1-letter Forsake going out to dine

Post by Justme »

Would someone please explain the answer to me (dine in) ....I must be missing something. :roll:
Staley

Re: 1-letter Forsake going out to dine

Post by Staley »

The first half of the answer (din) is one letter different from the second half (e in). I'm assuming that's what you wanted explained.
Justme

Post by Justme »

I thought 1 letter questions were all the same letters except 1....guess I was wrong.
Staley

Post by Staley »

In a one-letter question, the first half of the answer (be it a word, part of a word, multiple words, the first part of a hyphenated word, etc.) is one letter different from the second half. By half, I mean the letter count. This one had 6 letters, but they weren't evenly divided between the 2 words of the answer. A question with the answer "dine line" would have also been correct (and probably a lot easier).
Paucle

Re: 1-letter Forsake going out to eat

Post by Paucle »

Staley essentially explained it perfectly. The easiest way to look at it is to remove all spaces, punctuation, etc. Consider only the letters.

dinein

divide it in two

din ein

Between the two halves, only ONE LETTER changes- on this one, it happens to be the first one (d in the first, e in the second). The IN is the same in both.

Consider also Hirohito = hiro hito = hi_ohi_o. R changes to T. All other letters are the same and in the same place.

These should really be 6 letters minimum, though others have done 4. I never have because the non-changing part is itself only one letter. I prefer more of a pattern. Even phrases are acceptable (as good as gold... everything stays the same except the penultimate letter in each half.
Paul